Students like me work on the principle of rockets. Not because we aim the sky, but because, we start studying only when our tail is on fire !!
- Nivya James (Friend & Guide)
A letter from Larry, the Twitter bird.

A letter from Larry, the Twitter bird.

larry


Tweet tweet. 

Yep, that’s my mother tongue I am so very proud of. Who won’t be? Is there anything more exhilarating than having a whole kingdom named after your mother tongue? Maybe having a whole kingdom named after you. But being of a humble character, I won't ask for more.

Lately, I read the autobiography of my pal, the like button and that enthused me to write my own. So here you are Mr. Rey, this is the story I would like you to publish.

 I may not be something you could punch, hit or destroy, but that doesn’t make me less important.

 Let me divulge my real identity first of all, it is really disheartening to hear people call me “the twitter bird”. I am Larry, Larry the twitter bird. I am the last one or as I like to say ‘only one’ of my kind. I was never told about the species I belong to or how my ancestors looked like but that doesn’t dishearten me in any way.

 Simon Oxley, a British graphic designer was the very first person I saw and remember and he calls himself a proud designer of mine (A bit disappointment over the fact that I wasn’t born, but designed) I was just one among hundreds of illustrations he offered for sale on the iStock website in 2006, where someone from Twitter did not mind spending $15 on me. I overheard people saying –“Oxley’s bird is a slender, serene fellow, adorned only by a stylized eye and perched on a branch that splits off into an elegant Japanese-­influenced gathering of curlicues.” Whoa! My heart filled with pride and I became desperate for a mirror to look myself in.

evolution
my timeline..


I was barely three when Biz Stone, a developer performed a facelift on me but wasn’t quite pleased with his work as Doug Bowman (twitter founder) in 2011, performed yet another surgery and gave me the identity that I still carry around. In one of Bowman’s description about me, he said – “the bird has a beak and body that point toward the sky-the ultimate representation of freedom, hope and limitless possibility.

Apart from twitter, you can find me on blogs and websites, sitting silently or flying around. There’s no doubt that I add beauty to every place I visit. However, many have tried creating imitations of me and people often confuse me with them. Always do remember, I am not just any blue bird, I am Larry, the twitter bird.

Signing off…
Yours,
Larry, the twitter bird.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home